Polygyros (in Greek: Πολύγυρος) is a town in Central Macedonia, Greece (in Greek: Κεντρική Μακεδονία - Kentriki Makedonia). The town has given its name to the synonymous Municipality of Polygyros and, apart from the capital of the Municipality, it is also considered the capital of Chalkidiki Regional Unit (part of the Region of Central Macedonia).
Municipality of Polygyros was formed at the 2011 local government reform (pop. 22,048 according to the 2011 census) and it is located in the central part of the Chalkidiki Penninsula, covering an area of 952 sq.km, from sea (to the south) to the mountain Holomontas (to the North East). It includes four Municipality Units, i.e.
Some situate in the broader area of modern Polygyros the ancient city of Apollonia. Apollonia was one of the 32 cities, which, under the leadership of the Olynthus, constituted the Koinon ton Chalkideon (Chalkidian League). The Koinon was destroyed in 379 BCE by the Spartans, while in 348 BCE Philipp II of Macedon annexed the whole Chalcidice into the Macedonian Kingdom. In 168 BCE Chalcidice was subjected by the Romans.
Byzantine and Ottoman Era
The town of Polygyros is first mentioned in a medieval imperial document, chryssovoulon (with golden stamp), of Eastern Roman Emperor Nikephoros III Botaneiates about 1080 CE. In 1430, as the rest of the Eastern Roman Empire, Polygyros was conquered by the Ottomans and belonged to the Sanjak of Thessaloniki. On 17 May 1821 the people of Polygyros rose against the Ottoman authority and managed, temporarily, to expel the ottoman guard. Many residents of Polygyros took part in the 1854's unsuccessful revolutionary movement against the Ottomans.
Finally, on November 2, 1912 the Greek army, as one of the winners of the First Balkan War, entered Polygyros and incorporated the town in the Greek State.
There is a Folklore Museum in the town, opened in 1998.
In Polygyros town there is an Archaeological museum (currently under full reconstruction). The Archaeological Museum of Polygyros has exhibits containing findings from all over Halkidiki and referring to paleolithical and neolithical age, geometric, archaic, classic, hellenistic and Roman period. In addition, there is also a Folklore Museum (est. 1998), currently situated in the old Karagani residence. There are also many parks and picturesque squares. A trademark of Polygyros is the place cold Exi Vrysses (translated: Six Springs).
Polygyros is famous for its carnival celebrations, which attract visitors from all over Greece. A nearby location called Panagia (Virgin Mary) is the setting of a famous religious celebration on August 15. Also, cultural societies are active in the fields of folk music and dance. Classic and modern music is cultivated in the municipal conservatory.
Population statistics (as of 2011)
- Population: 22,048
- Area: 952.0 km2 (368 sq mi)
- Density: 23 /km2 (60 /sq mi)
- Population: 11,386
- Area: 470.9 km2 (182 sq mi)
- Density: 24 /km2 (63 /sq mi)
- Population: 7,459
MunicipalityThe City Hall
MunicipalityView of a square
MunicipalityChurch in Polygyros
MunicipalityArchaeological Museum of Polygyros.